The Stats Behind WellingtonNZ.com
We’re drawing back the curtains to reveal some key statistics of WellingtonNZ.com – to show you how our main marketing call-to-action performed throughout the 2012/13 financial year.
Buckle up, you’re about to see some stunning results.
Website Traffic Increases 25%
Overall, WellingtonNZ.com had just under 2.5 million visits in the 2012/13 financial year – literally just under at an excruciatingly close 2,496,678. An increase of 25% year-on-year (YoY), and 15% ahead of target. Nice one.
Leading the charge for the increase were New Zealanders, both Wellingtonians and those from outside our capital, with just over 2 million visits or 80% of total traffic, while International traffic made up the remaining 20%.
Record Set Then Broken
November and December 2012 were record breaking in terms of site traffic. It was high-fives and fist-pumps all around when we toppled 300,000 in November 2012, beating the previous monthly record set two year’s earlier by more than 100,000. Huge result! However, not to be outdone by November, December wanted it’s share of the spotlight, and dwarfed November’s result by 19%, taking the new record for monthly visits to 370,000.
The key drivers behind the record breaking results were, for November, renaming the capital the Middle of Middle-earth and launching our Wellington Film Campaign – during which visits to WellingtonNZ.com hit a daily record of 38,500. December’s growth was due to the launch of KNOW Wellington’s Christmas campaign – The Wellington Christmas Cracker.
The Importance of PWT’s Owned Channels
Demonstrating the importance of PWT’s owned media channels, the biggest drivers of traffic to WellingtonNZ.com, with Google and Direct visits aside, were two ‘owned’ channels; the KNOW Wellington eNewsletter and PWT’s Absolutely Positively Wellington Facebook channel. KNOW Wellington, our key communication channel to Wellingtonians, drove half a million visits to our website, equating to a 10th of all traffic, while Facebook drove 5% of all traffic. Having the ability to communicate with over 250,000 at any given time is a real plus for PWT and cuts down on expensive media buys!
The talk of the town at the moment is mobile, and quite rightly so. We saw a mobile traffic increase of 95% YoY while tablet increased 199%, supporting the business case that we need to increasingly cater for this audience. However, while we’re seeing this change in user behaviour it’s important to note that although Desktop traffic only increased 11%, this user group equates to 79% of all visitors to WellingtonNZ.com so cannot be forgotten in this mobile-first age.
The Year Ahead
So what’s to come? The biggest change will come from the work being done on Destination Wellington, a programme aimed at building on the city’s tourism marketing successes, expanding the story to celebrate and build the city’s economy in the business attraction space. We are currently working through what shape this will take but it will lead to very exciting times in telling and sharing our city’s story in the Digital space.
And of course, high on the list is continuing our reign as the most visited regional tourism website in New Zealand!