A Long Term View: Draft Long-Term Plan Out for Consultation
By David Perks
If there is one job I don’t envy, it’s that of drafting the Council Long-Term Plan. There’s always so much to do and comparatively little to do it with. Everything’s up for grabs and everything’s really important to someone.
Wellington City Council’s Draft Long-Term Plan has been finalised and is now out for consultation. The full Plan’s a bit of a read, so I thought I would share with you Positively Wellington Tourism’s analysis of areas we feel most require our industry’s attention.
In the interests of brevity and relevance, I’ll separate it into the following three areas/posts:
- Positively Wellington Tourism Funding (Australia Marketing Fund, Destination Wellington and Long Haul Attraction)
- Tourism Activities & Infrastructure (Convention infrastructure, Eco-city Council-Controlled Organisation and Cycle Networks)
- Events (Te Papa, The Hobbit and FIFA Under 20 Mens World Championships 2015)
More than ever it’s important our industry engages with the consultation process and shares its opinions on the direction of our city’s investment. Wellington’s tourism industry has been comparatively buffered from the challenges our counterparts have faced over the past couple of years. Certainly, it hasn’t been without nimble thinking, hard work and investment. But – as I trust you are very much aware –Wellington’s economic future has its challenges, with areas of investment up for debate and the public sector cuts putting pressure on the job market and spending.
I urge you to have a read of all or those of the above that are relevant to you, and then get submitting with your own thoughts, support and opinions.
How to make a submission
The draft long-term plan, a summary of the plan and submission forms are available from the following locations:
- Wellington City Council’s website
- From the City Service Centre,101 Wakefield Streetand Council libraries
- By phoning (04) 499 4444 to request a copy
To make an online submission, see:
Submissions close 5.00pm, Friday 18 May.